- Charles Bridges, The Christian Ministry (Edinburgh: Banner of Truth Trust, 1967), pp. 27-28.
- John Owen, The Church and the Bible, vol. 16 of The Works of John Owen (Edinburgh: Banner of Truth Trust, 1967), pp. 85-86.
- James S. Stewart, Preaching (London: The English Universities Press, 1955), pp. 29-30.
- Samuel Miller, The Duty of the Church to Take Measures for Providing an Able and Faithful Ministry (Dallas: Presbyterian Heritage Publications, 1984), pp. 4-5.
- John Erskine, “On the Qualifications Necessary for Teachers of Christianity,” in The Christian Pastor’s Manual, ed. John Brown (Ligonier, PA: Soli Deo Gloria Publications, 1991), pp. 111-112.
- John Owen, The Church and the Bible, vol. 16 of The Works of John Owen, pp. 75-76 and John Owen, Sermons to the Church, vol. 9 of The Works of John Owen, pp. 454-455.
3) A chastened disposition of humility and self-distrust
2 Cor. 3:4-6
1 Cor. 4:6-7
1 Pet. 5:5
2 Cor. 12:7-10
4) A measure of sustained and vigorous faith in the great realities of the unseen world
2 Cor. 4:16-18
2 Cor. 5:7
2 Cor. 4:13